I still have a blog (Lead 222)

Saturday, July 16, 2011
It has been quite a while since I last posted a blog! #1 things have been busy but great. #2 I feel like I have not written enough about Malawi yet so that will still be to come. I just reread a journal post from the trip and it feels like that was forever ago.

This past week I've been at the church an unmentionable amount of hours. I was asked to help out with a week long event our church hosts called Lead 222. Seven youth groups (180 kids) from around the country came to stay at our church and serve at different sites in the area. I along with around 8 others were hosts. Our job was to make sure that they teams had everything they needed to be able to serve to the best of their ability. It was a crazy week. It felt like 3 weeks. But I loved it. My group served at Riverwoods Christian Center which provides camp and other serves to under privileged kids.

For me the concept of people coming to the suburbs of Chicago to serve was a little strange. I just went to Africa and there was definitely clear need there. But really...a mission trip...here? It was awesome to see be able to play the role of host in a way that was like how I was hosted in Malawi and to serve people in my own community. Its not like I've never served in my community before but never to this extent.

It doesn't matter who has the need or what the need is....if there is a need...as Christians we are called to meet it and give the glory all to God.

This week really went along with the title of my blog. Lots of adventures. I went into it not really understanding what was happening or what I was going to be doing. Adventures like doing the students laundry in 3 different houses at the same time at 11pm.

Now I am camp-sick. Which is a term I came up with when I was younger and would come home from camp. I'd sleep for a few hours then realize how much I missed it. This wasn't technically camp but it was a lot like it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment