Now this is college

Thursday, December 6, 2012
I think it happened. I think I had my favorite class of my college life...the funny thing is...I think it was exactly how college was designed to be. The class was Student Leadership Practicum. The book we read was this:

































The point of the class is to have student leaders talk about leadership, specifically from a servant leadership paradigm. The class originally was just me but as I talked about it with friends other people joined. There were 5 students and our professor. Four of us were RA's. Myself and one other were returning RA's and there were 2 new RA's. One was a TA in LDR-150. Our professor developed and ran the center for life calling and leadership until this year as he has transitioned into a new role. He has a crazy amount of leadership experience and wisdom. Each week we read a chapter of the above pictured book, and turned in a weekly report (which as RA's we already have to do). He didn't want to add extra busy work. ummm awesome. So we read a chapter and came together once a week to talk about how it applied to our leadership roles. He would ask us hard questions and every week we would leave feeling challenged and healthier. We would ask each other hard questions. It was honestly kind of therapeutic  It was awesome to be able to process the leadership aspect of being an RA with other RA's. What was our final you might ask? We went out to lunch at Casa Brava and our professor paid.

Seems too good to be true right? Maybe it should be but I don't care. It was such a blessing in this season. Isn't that how college should be?

1 comments:

  1. I LOVE THAT BOOK!! We read it in my Brandon Hill class. Never felt like homework reading it.

Post a Comment