Waves.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012
There has been a reoccurring theme in this semester and it took me till this weekend to see it. This weekend we had our staff retreat. I would use two words to describe that: joy and peace. On Sunday we had time in solitude which I have grown to love more and more. In that time I thought back to the beginning of this school year. During training our staff went to Splash House.



One of the highlights was playing in the wave pool. I will remember laughing till I thought I was going to drown, jumping over, into and under the waves with those girls for many years to come. I love metaphors and illustrations and  I took time in the wave pool to relate the wave pool to ResLife. I said "ResLife is like wave pool...we get hit with one event, one situation, and there is no recovery time before the next event (wave) hits. " If you miss a beat you are confused, choking on water and trying to keep your head above water. However, if you keep your head up, stick to the rhythm.. touch-touch-jump, you will make it over every wave. And when things start to fall apart (or swim suites come untied) we have each other (our staff) to help pick up the pieces and put things back together and get back into the rhythm of the waves. It is so encouraging to be bouncing around in the waves and look to the faces of the girls on my staff and know that we are literally in this together. They are right there smiling back at me rocking the touch-touch-jump rhythm.

Another big theme from this season of life has been constantly reminding myself to turn my eyes upon Jesus. And when I do that the things of earth will grow strangling dim in the light of His glory and grace. If my eyes are on Jesus I will be able to jump over the waves. It's the times that I get distracted and start to focus on the waves or something in the water or think about tomorrow that I get out of rhythm and start to choke.

This semester has been filled with waves. The waves have been fun, good things, but still waves. I am continually reminding myself to fix my gaze on Jesus face and not on the waves. I am so incredibly blessed by those in the water with me. His faithfulness never ceases to amaze me.

3 comments:

  1. Laura said...:

    Yes! Oh so true.

  1. don't worry. i fed your blog fish today. they get a little shaky in these waves as well.
    if you ever need a life vest just give me a holler and i'll rope you over to the Harmon House for some sea food... or just normal food that will be a break from your semi/at times sea sick-ish life ;)
    Love you!

Post a Comment