Coffee and Connecting

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Over this last week I have been very thankful that I am a coffee drinker. Since my internship has two parts I have had two first days. On both of those first days I was asked "do you drink coffee" with that questions I could reply quickly and enthusiastically. I love coffee. I am totally addicted. At the church the student ministries staff walks upstairs together to the chapel and enjoys community, conversation, and coffee. I am all about that! I mean if I didn't drink coffee.. I could go just for the community and conversation aspects but coffee just makes the connection deeper. At lighthouse they drink coffee all day and it was a great connecting piece.

After thinking about this concept over the past few days I have been amazed by how many deep conversations and relationships that have been built over a cup of coffee. It is so normal for people my age to get to know each other better over coffee (cough...McConn...cough). It's not as formal or as much of a commitment as sharing a meal/breaking bread but it can be just as intimate. Having coffee can also be totally casual. It really could go either way. But if you are a coffee lover you know how quickly a bond can build when you discover you share the same love/addiction.

Coffee is also a total mood adjuster for me. That and Jesus. In the morning my coffee and quiet time usually go hand in hand. Its beautiful. Both wonderful things...and when their forces are combined I am literally a new woman. These last few days have been long and I know that I will be in a better mood and get more things done if I have coffee again in the early afternoon (says the girl who just got her 3pm iced coffee). It is literally magic. The world seems manageable again.

I am thankful for my coffee addiction. I think it has more benefits in the work world than it gets credit for. So here is your credit coffee. Thank you. I love you. I'll see you in the morning...,and maybe again tomorrow afternoon?

0 comments:

Post a Comment