B12

Sunday, April 10, 2011
Depending on who you are you may or may not know that I get vitamin b12 injections. I am considered vitamin b12 deficient so I get shots once a month. I use to have to go to the doctor or here at school to the health center. It wasn't terrible since it was only once a month but it wasn't ideal especially since it was a $20 fee every time I got a shot here at school. Over Spring Break when I was home, I got a shot and the nurse said "you know you can give these to your self right?". NOOOOOO!!! I had always wished I could give them to myself. I had no problem with needles and I kept getting more and more frustrated with our health center at school each time I had to get a shot. So I was thrilled with this news. My wise Mom also thought it would be totally fine since our school is full of nursing majors! My future roommate Emily is going to be a 3rd year nursing student next year and I figured it would be great experience for her and I would feel better about it if I had someone who knew more about what they were doing. So I talked to Emily about it and she was game.


So I got all the things ready: rubbing alcohol, two needles (one to draw the meds, and one to inject), and cotton balls. Emily brought her power point notes. haha that made me laugh. It was such a great learning experience. We made sure to close the door so that people didn't get confused. Emily also called Lauren another RA nursing student up to my room to supervise and talk thinks through.


Here is Emily with the medicine all drawn up! It's pink so thats fun.

We put the shot in my thigh. I usually get them in my arm but the doc. said that I doesn't really matter where I have them done.


Here we are! Future roommates after our first successful B12 home injection! Thanks Emily!

0 comments:

Post a Comment