Around the World in 24 hours...?

Friday, April 29, 2011
Today was a very international, cross-cultural day for me. This morning my mom and I hit up a bunch of garage sales. While we were doing this I was wondering "do other countries/cultures have garage sales?" I kind of don't think that they do...especially to the extend that we in America do...we have more STUFF than other people. I found a pump for my exercise ball. I borrowed one this year from a girl on first floor...but she is graduating and when I deflated my exercise ball I thought about how I wasn't sure if it would ever get fully inflated again. Indeed it will with my $1 purchase.
We also found tons of awesome outfits for baby Austin. Garage sales are so perfect for babies clothes because at the 3-6 month stage they go through clothes so quickly that they may only wear an outfit once and it doesn't fit anymore. So a lot of the things we bought were like new!
Even though Austin may be moving to St. Louis he will be a Chicago sports fan.
This is one of my personal favorites. I just love picturing his chubby little belly in it! hahaha so fun! After all the garage sales we had a quick lunch and headed to Aurora to meet up with some ladies from Church. We were going to go visit with refugee ladies and invite them to come to a Bible Study every Friday in May. We drove to their apartments and broke up in groups from there to go to the doors of people that might be interested. We tried to express all the basics of when where and what despite the language barriers. The people we met were very sweet and we were invited into many of their homes where they insisted that we sat down. I just hope that they felt loved and cared about by us and that through our love they could feel Gods love for them. We met a lot of people from Burma and a few from The Congo. I honestly felt like I had flown around the world.

After that we came home and slept and had dinner. After dinner we enjoyed a special treat that our friends from Kenya sent us. They are cookies that we enjoyed while we were there. While reading the box I realized they were actually made in the UK. So those cookies went from the UK to Kenya to IL. Pretty exciting. We ended the evening watching the Royal Wedding that we recorded on DVR.
 Its a beautiful world we live in.

0 comments:

Post a Comment